Sewing Savvy Newsletter
Tips & Advice
|Notes From the Sewing Room|
Make It Merry Mats
By Linda Turner Griepentrog
Embellishing ready-made place mats is a fast and easy way to spruce up your holiday table. Seasonal shapes, fun stitches and quick fusing combine for these fast and easy whimsical mats.
13 x 18 inches
- 4 ready-made rectangular fabric place mats
- Assorted fabric scraps for appliques
- Assorted trims
- Fusible interfacing
- Paper-backed fusible web
- Optional: water-soluble stabilizer
- Rayon machine-embroidery thread
- Fabric/craft glue
- Optional: decorative-edge scissors
- Basic sewing supplies and equipment, including matching or contrasting thread
Notes: For level table settings, choose smooth fabrics for the appliques rather than fabrics with textured surfaces. Washable felt, faux suede, cotton broadcloth or poplin are all good choices.
Preshrink place mats and applique fabrics to avoid distortion during future launderings.
Fused applique fabrics generally don’t ravel, but stitching secures them and also adds a decorative element. If you prefer to stitch around the motifs, use a zigzag, blanket stitch or other decorative machine stitch. Use thread in the bobbin to match the place mat color and thread in the needle to match or contrast with the applique.
- Back each applique fabric with fusible interfacing if more body is needed, or to add opacity if a light-colored applique is being applied to a dark-colored place mat.
- Trace the desired applique shapes onto the paper side of the fusible web, allowing at least 1/2 inch between motifs. Cut out each shape with a 1/4-inch-wide margin all around.
- Fuse each applique shape to the wrong side of the appropriate applique fabric. If you plan to fuse and then stitch around the outer edges of the appliques, cut out each shape on the drawn lines. If you do not plan to stitch after fusing, consider using decorative-edge scissors to cut out the shapes. Fuse each applique on the place mat.
- If desired, embellish appliques with decorative machine stitching using a heavyweight water-soluble stabilizer.
- Add flat trims, buttons, ribbons or sequins, placing away from tableware placement area.
Copyright © 2008 Sew Fun & Easy Table Fashions, House of White Birches. All rights reserved.
|Micro-Safe Hot Holders Sewing Pattern$9.99||Patchwork Maple Leaf Table Runner Pattern$9.49||Trim the Tree: Christmas Ornaments to Stitch$11.99||Insul-Bright™Regular Price: $9.98
Special Price: $7.99
|NorthWoods Window Pane Quilt Pattern or Embellishment Set$8.99 - $10.99|