Sewing Savvy Newsletter
Tips & Advice
|Notes From the Sewing Room|
|Even if you are done with the holiday cooking, this apron is fun enough to put on when coming up with plans for all those holiday leftovers.|
By Missy Shepler
Showcase seasonal prints with this quick-to-stitch apron.
Approximately 30 to 34 inches, depending on yardage width. Apron is worn diagonally.
- 44/45-inch-wide lightweight woven fabric: 1 yard each 2 coordinating holiday prints
- Basic sewing supplies and equipment
From one holiday print:
- Fold yardage on a 45-degree angle. From extended single layer of fabric, cut three 2 1/4-inch strips the width of the fabric for ties.
- Square up remaining yardage. Cut largest square possible for lining.
From second holiday print:
- Cut one square the same size as lining.
Use 1/4-inch seam allowance unless otherwise indicated. Sew right sides together.
- Sew short ends of apron tie strips together on the bias. Trim seam allowance. Press seams open. Press under 1/4 inch at each short edge. Press strip in half lengthwise with wrong sides together. Open strip and press raw edges to center crease. Fold strip in half again and press.
- With right sides together, sew apron front and lining together around outer edges, leaving a 6-inch opening for turning. Clip corners and turn apron right side out. Press.
- Center tie on apron front 5 1/2 inches above horizontal center of apron (Figure 1). Pin. Stitch both edges of tie across width of apron, continuing stitching to ends of ties.
- To wear, fold top apron point down 3 inches above tie. Hold apron edges at ties and wrap apron around waist. Cross ties at back, then bring ties to center front waist and tie in a bow, allowing top of apron to ruffle (Figure 2a).
If desired, pull top apron point up and tuck into tie or folded apron edge to form a temporary pocket (Figure 2b).
Source: Holiday Traditions fabric collection from Hoffman California Fabrics.
Copyright © 2009 The Best Apron Book Ever, House of White Birches. All rights reserved.
|NorthWoods Window Pane Quilt Pattern or Embellishment Set$8.99 - $10.99||Patchwork Maple Leaf Table Runner Pattern$9.49||Insul-Bright™Regular Price: $9.98
Special Price: $7.99
|Learn Simple Serging$11.99||Sunburst Table Topper Pattern$5.99|